Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links.
People with long hair are free to style their hair in several ways: You can let it down, tie it up, braid, curl it, and more.
Letting your dreadlocks down is a common and comfortable means to show their beauty. However, are you wondering if there are any other hairstyles that you can do with your locs?
Scarves or turbans do a great job of saving your hair from getting dust and dirt. They are also a stylish accessory for providing your locs with a new makeover.
This post will show you how to wrap your hair with a scarf and things to put into consideration when choosing a scarf wrap that can absolutely fit your dreadlocks.
When Can I Start Wearing a Scarf On My Dreads?
The great news for those who are just itching to accessorize their new locks is that you don’t need to wait for your hair to mature. However, there is a method to make sure you’re using them the “right” way. Otherwise, you might damage your dreadds.
Before we explain to you the “right” approach, we have to give you a quick analysis of what three things produce mature, matted dreadlocks:
Anything you do to progress friction or compression like palm rolling and clockwise rubbing helps speed up the procedure. Conversely, anything you create that reduces friction or compression can slow or even halt the locking process.
That said, there are two “types” of dread scarves you should know: Solid thread scarf and open (also called crisscrossed) scarf.
When you put a tight, solid wrap on a less-than-mature dreadlock, it reduces the dreadlock and friction. Thus, it stops the locking process and causes weak spots. A solid thread scarf should only be put on perfectly solid, mature dreadlocks.
A criss-cross scarf, on the other hand, can be safely worn on dreadlocks of any age. That’s because they pack the dreadlock and produce enough friction to stimulate the locking process. Plus, they’re aesthetically charming. However, open wraps should be set rather loosely so that it doesn’t “choke” or compress the dreadlock.
As long as the scarves are suitably sized, they can be worn whether your dreadlocks are mature or not.
What Type of Scarf Should I Wrap My Hair With?
There is a wide range of dreadlocks scarf wraps available in the market. Depending on materials, they can be classified into satin, cotton, and linen.
This type of scarf is versatile and somewhat cheap. It has a good assortment of colors to suit most of your outfits.
This type of scarf also gives you a wide range of options when it comes to colors and shapes. Hence, it’s a great option for those who want to use scarves as hair accessories or present them as gifts.
This lightweight material can help promote healthy hair growth. That’s because it can prevent dry and tangled hair and can make your hair shine.
But since it’s easy for satin scarves to slide off of your head, you may need to knot it twice.
How Do You Wrap a Scarf With Dreads?
There are two main ways to wrap your locks with a scarf: Dread wrap with a ponytail or entirely cover them up with a turban.
Below are the easiest ways to have your hair wrapped:
- Step 1: Arrange your dreads in a high ponytail. An elastic band is advised for tying the dreads in place and avoiding damage.
- Step 2: Fold the scarf into a hand span in width and set the middle of it behind the head, below the ponytail
- Step 3: Meet the two ends at the middle of your forehead and wrap them snugly around your head
- Step 4: Tuck both ends of the scarf in or tie them into a knot.
Wrap Dreads Up
- Step 1: Arrange your hair in a bun or a ponytail
- Step 2: Put the scarf or turban on your shoulder (you don’t have to fold it up like the above method)
- Step 3: Take the part at the nape of the neck then pull it to the hairline of your forehead. Once your hair is all wrapped, twist or fold the ends of the scarf several times and round it around your head.
- Step 4: Tie a knot on the side of your forehead once completed.
You can implement the same steps for turbans or bandannas (large handkerchiefs). Depending on how long your dreads are, you can modify the width of the fabric equally.
Best Dreadlock Scarves, Wraps, and Headwear
We’ve listed down our best 6 picks for scarves that you can wear for your dreadlocks.
- Fun, Colorful, and Fashionable outfit for you. Create your own fashion with the headwrap.
- Versatility on your own Hands. You can transform it into a bandana, neckwear, hairband, facemask, and festival clothes.
- Athletic Outdoor Gear. These multiclava intensifies your biking, fishing, hiking, camping, and hunting experience.
- It gives protection for your locs. Defend your locs, eyes, nose, ears, hair, and lungs from sunburn, wind, sweat, bugs, and dust.
- Easy to carry around. Lightweight at 1.1oz per piece, thin which means that it is not bulky in your pocket, and machine washable, plus, it is quick to dry.
- A classic African head wrap for women. A versatile 3-in-1 wrap, turban, and scarf to wear your hair up with a cool, soft wrap that can carry all unique hairstyles.
- It comes with a solid-colored turban that is 63 inches long and 32 inches wide. They also have printed ones (68 x 21 inches) that can easily wrap various hairstyles and very long hair, braids, and dreadlocks.
- No special skills are needed as the head wraps are easy to tie. Just simply wrap your head, tuck the ends, and the stretch knit gives a secure hold.
- It comes in a bunch of different bold and beautiful colors to fully match your style, complexion, or look. Solid color head wraps are constructed of soft Microfiber while the Printed headwrap is made of Polyester.
- For full coverage usage of your hair no matter the length and thickness. These turbans can help you wrap your hair organized into various styles with less effort. You can wear your favorite jeans and clothes, no matter where you are, you can always look fashionable
- Extra Long and Wide: The African head wrap for women is 70 inches in length for complete coverage and comfort. Made by the Kente Ankara tribe, the royalty traditional Dashiki African print tribal fabric (100% Polyester) head wrap is 72″ x 22″, and its solid colors stretchy Jersey (Polyester) Knit head wraps are 70″ x 33″ for relaxed wearing for long hair, braids, dreadlocks, locs, afro or wig. Headwear is perfect to have a stylish head covering. Excellent for all seasons: autumn, summer, winter, spring, festival, fair, and vacation.
- Easy to Wear and Versatile: No special skills required. The comfortable African print head wrap and headscarves for women arrive with simple tie-ing tutorial PICTURES. Head ties give versatility, fashion style, and beauty. Ideal for layering 2 wraps! The headwraps can be done as a scarf, clothing accessory, arts and crafts material, skirt, turbans, table cloth, runner & plate mat, African custom curtains, home decor, and party accessories.
- Soft, Lightweight, and Comfortable: For those who favor entirely carefree fit head covering, they offer fashionable head scarves for women. The fabric is soft, breathable with lively colors for an Afrocentric look or summer swimwear accessories. The lightweight headwear is a fabulous fashion show, yoga, sports workout, and exercise headband accessory. Easy to match it with some jeans for a quick run to the store, and simple to dress it up with an outfit for a night out. Always look gorgeous and pulled together.
- Fashionable and Great for Gifts: Perfect as a birthday gift, Christmas gift, holiday gift for a mother, daughter, sister, or friend! If you haven’t felt the magic of headscarves, welcome! Easy scarf-tying involved in the package can magically convert a beautiful piece of fabric cloth into stylish headwear.
- 100% Money-Back Guarantee: Being so sure about the best quality and durability of the product, they offer you a hassle-free 30 days money-back guarantee of full satisfaction. Their solid color head wraps are stretchy jersey fabric. Their African print headwraps are cotton-soft fabric. If you fancy the African print headwraps fabric to be softer, just try washing it with cold water and a fabric softener.
- Made with 100% Polyester. The materials are also stretchable, breathable, sweat-wicking, and dries quickly.
- It has dimensions of 19.5 inches or 49cm X 9.7 inches or 24cm; Highly stretchable to manage circumference about 21.25 to 38.9inch, and the thickness is 0.5mm.
- Magic headbands are ideal to use as a headband, neck gaiter, wind or dust screen, balaclava, spring scarf or a helmet liner, and more than 12 diverse dress ways, a perfect gift for your friends and family and yourself as well.
- Can be used on many occasions, like yoga, walking, running, hiking, riding and fishing, other sports, wear at parties or do farm work as well.
- Material: Soft, lightweight cotton, and hemp which offers a super soft cottony touch with a dimension of 35.5 x 70.9″ or 90 x 180cm.
- Perfect Gift: It can be an ideal gift for any age woman and mother’s day, birthday, and holidays.
- How to Wash: It can be easily hand-washed in cold water with similar colors. Do not bleach, wring, or squeeze, just hang it to sry.
- Suitable for any Occasion: Can be worn at Beach, while traveling, casual wear, school, and work.
- Note: The color on your computer monitor may change slightly from actual product colors depending on monitor settings. If you have questions about the products after acquiring the product, please contact them and they will give you a satisfactory reply within 24 hours.
- It has a dimension of 18.8 x 9.4 inches /48 x 24 centimeters /1.56 x 0.78 feet. Highly stretchable, which is suitable for head circumference of 21.25-25 Inches /54-64 centimeters, with a thickness of 0.5 mm.
- Knitting Material and Functionality: Made with 100% Polyester Microfiber; good permeability, better flash drying, normal warm-keeping, good at sweat absorption, and soft.
- Healthier and Safer: It passed several tests such as the SGS (Societe generale de Surveillance) and ITS (INTERTEK). It also passed several technical tests such as the Formaldehyde Test, Azo Dyes Test, Color Staining Test with saliva and sweat, and more tests, guaranteeing a healthier and more durable material.
- More Series and Multifunction: Based on its headwear sales activity for years, they know the taste of North Americans and customer’s likings that is why they are confident that you will find some series you like. They also picked out no fewer than 220 patterns from more than 1000 patterns and packed over 28 series. The product can be worn like a Head Wrap, Headband, Mask, Hairband, Neckband, Neckwarmer, Armband, Waistband, Bandana, Scarf, Handkerchief, Hat, and more(12-in-1).
Should I Cover My Dreadlocks When I Sleep?
This is a question that we have wandered over for years. But the quick answer is “Yes, you should!”
However, this is optional. Although we recommend that you do so as it can improve the condition of your dreadlocks.
Wrapping your dreadlocks before you sleep prevents your hair from picking up lint and fuzz from your bedding.
Other than that, the oil created by the scalp (also called “sebum”) is crucial to keep the hair and scalp healthy. Lack of sebum production can lead to hair breakage and crimped dreadlocks.
Anytime you set your dreadlocks against a porous fabric, like your pillowcase, it will tend to absorb moisture out of your hair and potentially dry it out. Hence, covering your dreadlocks can prevent this from happening; therefore, minimize frizz.
What can I Use to Wrap My Dreads?
Wrapping your dreads at night is an excellent way to keep them moist and avoid breakage. And there are many things you can use to wrap up your locs.
You can select a beanie wool cap for keeping your locs in place during the nighttime. However, this might produce friction and doesn’t help much with maintaining moisture on your scalp. Another great option would be a cotton cap, as it does a good job in keeping your dreads in shape.
If you want your hair cap to stand out, satin wrap is for you. It also keeps your hair moisturized and prevents breakage.
While your hair is getting used to with scarves, turbans, or bandannas, it does need a break from time to time.
When you want to relieve your locs for a while, a scarf can serve as a multi-purpose accessory. It can be a neck warmer, a fashionable belt, or hair tie. It is up to you to be more creative!